Find out more about TiVo
TiVo with Virgin Media
TiVo is a model of digital set-top box that has gained popularity through its extensive and innovative selection of features. It is designed to offer TV viewers a tailored and original experience through a unique rating function, quick search and browse options and built-in internet connectivity.
It has become the set-top box market leader in the US, and is now making its way into homes throughout the UK, courtesy of Virgin Media. The cable TV provider has a detailed library of on demand content, including thousands of TV shows and movies available at the touch of a button. A partnership with TiVo gives Virgin Media the chance to improve the usability of its catch-up and on demand selection of programmes, whilst also offering its customers access to social networking websites and streamed video clips from YouTube all on their home TV.
The TiVo 500GB and 1TB boxes with Virgin Media are built to be HD-ready, so you can experience all the next generation features as well as watch TV in stunning high definition. As long as you have an HD-ready TV, then you can start to watch in HD with your TiVo box. Every TV pack from Virgin Media includes some HD channels at no extra cost, and you can add other subscription-only high definition channels such as Sky Sports 1HD and Discovery HD.
• Control – The Virgin Media TiVo box includes the popular pause, rewind and record functions that let you watch back the best bits or save a programme for later.
• Memory – Choose between a 500GB model, which can store 250 hours of standard definition content or 50 hours of HD, or the 1TB version, which records up to 500 hours of standard definition programming or 100 hours of HD.
• Multi-programme storage – This set-top box will let you record 3 different programmes at the same time, whilst watching another one that you recorded earlier.
• Search and browse – Virgin Media customers can have access to thousands of hours of catch-up TV and on demand content, as well as hundreds of TV channels. The search and browse functions of the TiVo box make it easy to find the things you want to watch. This option also lets you find out more about the actors you like, and which other programmes or movies they have worked on.
• Wishlist™ - The TiVo box will record every episode of a programme that you put into your Wishlist, including Christmas specials. It is like Series Link, but automatically records any other series of your chosen show, as well as one-off episodes.
• Suggestions – You’re given the option to rate shows with a green Thumbs Up or a red Thumbs Down. This gives your TiVo box an accurate idea of the types of shows you like, and it uses this collated information to make suggestions to you about other programmes you may not have tried yet, but might actually enjoy.
• HD TV – Providing you have an HD-ready TV, you can watch HD channels at no extra cost with Virgin Media, and the TiVo box is already HD-enabled.
• Web-connected – Virgin Media TiVo gives you access through your TV to YouTube videos, bidding website eBay and social networking sites Facebook and Twitter, so you can update your status, check out photos or see what your friends are up to. The box comes with its own fibre optic broadband connection, so it won’t affect your home’s internet service.
Upgrading to TiVo
If you are a new Virgin Media customer, then you can add the box when you are building your Virgin Media package. There are 2 boxes to choose from, with one offering twice the recording capacity. Prices can vary, but the 1TB box will be more expensive than the 500GB edition. You may also find that Virgin Media is offering a deal or money off when you include a TiVo box as part of a bundle offer. The offers from subscription-based digital TV providers change regularly, so follow our links to the site to find out more.
Existing customers can upgrade by visiting virginmedia.com.
How much does TiVo cost?
You can choose between a 500GB and 1TB TiVo box, and you pay a small rental fee each month instead of an outright one-off charge.
Virgin Media often promotes offers which tie in with the TiVo boxes, so keep looking out for these. The cost for TiVo involves activation, but with some Virgin Media deals you may find free activation included with your new subscription. If you're looking to bundle services for a great value deal, then Virgin Media Collections bring together the TiVo, fibre-optic broadband and home phone.