Setting up Sky: FAQs
The most frequently asked questions about setting up Sky.
If you’re new to Sky you might need a bit of a hand setting it up. Here are some commonly asked questions we’ve answered simply to help you swiftly through the process (we hope)!
How do I set up my Sky Q box?
There are several steps you need to follow to set your Sky Q box up. See below:
- Make sure your Sky Q remote has batteries in it.
- Put your Sky viewing card into your Sky Q box with the chip facing up.
- Connect your Sky Q box with the appropriate cables. Start by plugging in the satellite cables along with the pink HDMI cable. Put the other end of the HDMI into an HDMI slot in your television. Next, put the blue power cable into the box and its plug into a wall socket. Turn on your TV and using the remote, select the HDMI port you used.
- Once a blue screen appears, press the Home button on your remote.
- If you only have one satellite cable, navigate to Settings enter 001 then press Select on your remote. Go to LNB type > SCR > press Select. Restart your box by switching it on and off at the wall.
- Connect your Sky Q box to the internet by going to Settings > Network and selecting your WiFi network.
- Pair your viewing card by going to Settings > System info > Viewing card number > Setup and then follow the onscreen instructions.
How do I set up my Sky Q Mini box?
The initial stage of setting up your Sky Q Mini box is very similar to setting up your Sky Q box.
- Plug the HDMI cable into your Mini box and the other end into your TV.
- Plug the power cable into your Mini box and the other end into the wall.
- Press Home on your Sky Q remote to switch your box on after the initial messages have disappeared.
Setting up your Sky Q remote to your Sky Q Mini box:
- Hold 1 and 3 together at the same time until the red light flashes 4 times.
- Press Continue and then enter the brand of your TV.
- Select Find it for me.
- Follow the on-screen instruction to set up a Sky Soundbox or speaker system, or select No to finish the process.
Connect your Sky Q Mini box using WPS by following the instructions below:
- Step 2 of 4 will start the WPS on the Sky Mini box after pressing Select.
- Go to your nearest Sky Q product, such as your Sky Q box or Hub and press and hold the WPS button for 3 seconds.
- Your Sky Q Mini box may take up to 2 minutes to connect - wait while the box obtains an IP address and connects to your Sky Q box.
It’s important to note that it can take up to 10 minutes for the 'network settling' to end and for your Mini box to be connected, so don’t worry if it doesn’t connect right away.
How do I set up my Sky iD?
Setting up your Sky iD is the same as setting up your Sky account. To create your Sky ID if you are new to Sky there are some steps you’ll need to follow. All you’ll need is your full name and the email address you wish to use.
- Head on over to www.sky.com/pages/sky-id-setup.
- Click the service you’d like to use (at this point it doesn’t really matter).
- On the right-hand side of the browser you’ll see a Sign up button underneath the Sign in box.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to set up your Sky iD.
How do I set up my Sky Q remote?
- Press Home.
- Press and hold 1 and 3 together until you see the light on your remote flash.
- Follow the instructions on screen to finish setting up your Sky Q remote.
If you want to connect your Sky Q remote to your TV so you can operate your television as you would its remote, we have an extensive guide covering this topic.
Do I need a TV licence to watch Sky?
For any live Sky channel you’ll need a TV licence, or else you might be fined. However, for any on-demand content that isn’t live, a TV licence isn’t technically needed.
Do I need a satellite dish to watch Sky?
You’ll need a satellite dish to access Sky Q content with Sky Q, yes. However, with Sky's new product Sky Glass, all you need to access Sky’s content is a broadband connection.
All the kit you need comes within the television itself - just plug into the mains and establish a WiFi connection and you’re good to go. You’ll be able to enjoy all the Sky content others do just without the hassle of having to have a satellite dish installed onto your house!
How do I set up a Sky PIN?
Your Sky PIN will either be the last 4 digits of your viewing card or what you’ve had previously with the Sky “classic” box. If neither of these work, try 0000. If you’re still having trouble, try the How do I reset my Sky PIN steps below.
Setting up your PIN to authorise things such as movie rentals and channel access is something you might want to do if you have young children operating your Sky Q box on a daily basis.
You can set a pin to restrict various content on your Sky box. To set up a parental PIN switch your Family setting on for PIN-protection. This will mean any programme before the watershed, as well as any purchases, will require your PIN to be entered. Any adult channels and recordings will also be hidden.
- Select Home > Settings > Parental.
- Enter your Sky PIN.
- Select Family > Family setting.
- Choose On to PIN-protect all categories under Family.
How do I reset my Sky PIN?
- Have your Sky account number to hand and go to My Account > Reset PIN.
- Enter the last six digits of your Sky Account number.
- Enter the new PIN you’d like to use, and then enter it again to confirm.
Setting up Sky Go
Sky Go allows you to take your Sky content with you wherever you go using the Sky Go app on your mobile or tablet device. To set it up follow the steps below:
- Go to Sky.com/Skygo in a web browser.
- If you have a Sky iD, you can automatically sign in. If not you can create one.
- Link to your Sky TV account by entering the account holder’s last name followed by the postcode. Then enter your 12 digit Sky account number, your nine digit viewing card number, or the last six digits of the bank number used to pay your Sky bill.
- Download the Sky Go app on your desired device and away you go.